How to Prepare for SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language 2017: The Staff Selection Commission conducts the Combined Graduate Level Examination to recruit candidates in various government positions every year. This year, SSC CGL Tier 1 examination will be held in the month of August.
However, you should start preparing for the SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language examination right away to gain an extra edge over other aspirants.
SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern
The Examination will be conducted in four tiers as indicated below:
- Tier -I — Computer Based Examination
- Tier -II — Computer Based Examination
- Tier -III — Pen and Paper Mode (Descriptive paper)
- Tier-IV — Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable)/Document Verification
Here we will discuss the SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Pattern. Read below for the detailed exam pattern.
SSC CGL 2017: Tier 1 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier 1 is Common for all posts. Those candidates qualify SSC CGL 2017 Tier 1 will be eligible for SSC CGL 2017 Tier 2.
|Subject||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
Now, let’s analyze the SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language section deeply and see how we can crack this recruitment examination in the most efficient manner.
How to Prepare for SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Section 2017
The SSC CGL Tier 1 English language section paper is taken in order to test a candidate’s understanding and hold over the language. One can easily score good marks in SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language section if one’s basic concepts are clear.
But you must never forget that this is one subject that demands regular practice. To excel in this language, one needs to be in constant touch. Now, we are going to highlight the tips for all of the sections one by one so that we can concentrate on each and every aspect of the SSC CGL Tier 1 English language paper.
Overall Preparation Strategy for SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Section
Based on priority, we will discuss various tips on how to go about for your preparation for the SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Paper:
Preparation Tips for Grammar Section
A huge percentage (around 40-50%) of the questions is asked from Grammar. So, to score well in SSC CGL Tier 1 English language paper it is important that one has a steady hold over grammar. You must remember all the basic rules of grammar.
- Sentence Improvement: Always read the sentence carefully and try to interpret its meaning. Divide the sentence into two parts and then combine them after correction by searching for connectives.
- Spotting Error: Read the sentence and eliminate the choices that sound wrong grammatically by checking the subject-verb agreement.
- Cloze Test: This topic is one of the easiest provided you fill in the options carefully. As all options are inter-related, one error can lead to the other and subsequently result in loss of marks. So, if you are not sure about any blank, leave it for the time being and attempt the next and come back later to the previous one.
- Fill ups: Use logic and eliminate less satisfactory options. This will make it easier for you to choose the correct answer.
To evaluate your performance, try to solve as many quizzes and tests you can.
Preparation Tips for Vocabulary Section
The Vocabulary section of SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language paper takes a lot of time. Moreover, you need a lot of practice and revision to master this particular section. Don’t try to learn too much in less time, it is difficult to retain. Try to refer to various English papers and read articles from decent magazines. This will help you improve your vocab.
- Idioms and Phrases: Try to understand the meaning and decipher by referring to the vocabulary words. But a figurative meaning can be different to a logical one. So, try to understand the context. You can also map them in your mind to retain it for a long time.
- One-Word Substitution: Try to fill in all the given options and understand the meaning of the sentence and evaluate if it makes sense.
- Spelling Correction: There is no formula to this, one can only master it by constant practice. Practice with the help of mock tests and question banks regularly.
Preparation Tips for Other Sections
For the rest of the sections of SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language paper, you need to subject specific.
- Comprehension/ Passage: Read the passage carefully and then read all the questions. Don’t try to answer questions straight away without reading. For synonyms and antonyms, refer to the passage and if you are unable to find the meaning, read and understand the line in which it occurs and try to interpret the meaning in context to the line.
- Sentence-Rearrangement: Try to break the sentence into two and look for connectives and subject-verb agreement. Re-combine the sentence to turn it into a meaningful one.
Some section-wise guidelines to follow while studying for SSC CGL tier 1 English Language:
We are going to highlight the tips for all of these topics one by one so that we can concentrate on each and every aspect individually.Elaborating further:
Preparation Tips for Reading Comprehension
SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Section is predominantly filled with RC questions. Hence, to secure good marks, you need to be a pro at solving reading comprehension question.
- Read the entire passage carefully and then read all the questions.
- Do not try to attempt questions straight away without reading and only referring to the passage for each question. Read the passage first and then answer the referenced questions.
- For Synonyms and Antonyms in SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Section, refer to the line in which they are mentioned and try to infer their meaning by analyzing the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
Preparation Tips for Cloze Passage
An SSC candidate with a sound understanding of English Grammar and basic sentence structuring can easily solve Cloze Passage questions in SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language Section.
- Read the passage and go according to the flow.
- Cloze Test is considered to be one of the easiest questions, only if attempted properly. Though it can prove to be complicated as one error can cost you a lot of marks as all the blanks that are to be filled are inter-related.
- If you are confused or are unsure about any particular blank that you have to fill, just avoid it and go for the next one. If you are able to fill in the next blank, then you can come back to the previous one and try again by co-relating.
Preparation Tips for Fill in the Blanks
- Here, you can try the Elimination approach by eliminating the less-favorable options. This will make it easier for you to choose the correct answer.
- You can also go with rule-the-odd-one-out-strategy. Think logically and rule out the option which is less likely to comply with the sentence.
Preparation Tips for Spotting the Error
- Believe in yourself and eliminate options by reading the sentence after filling in the options mentally and asking yourself “Does this sound right?”.
Preparation Tips for Sentence Correction
- Understand the sentence and if you can decipher the meaning of the sentence, it will be easier for you to correct the sentence.
- Try segregating the sentence into two sentences and then try to combine them after correcting each.
- Look for connecting words that form a pair and arrange them accordingly to form a sentence which is meaningful.
Preparation Tips for Para jumbles
- Analyze the theme of each para jumble and then try to restore the paragraph in the right order.
- Try to synchronize the course of events in the form of activities based on logic so as to what is done first followed by others.
- Try to spot articles (a, an, the), connectives, pronouns (they, he, she, etc.) and adjectives. These will help you to deduce the sequence of events.
Previous Years SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam Papers & Mock Test Series
This goes for every recruitment examination and applies everywhere. You can never be fully confident about a paper unless you solve the actual one, and the previous years’ papers are the best ‘net practice’ for you before the real match.
We hope that this article will help you formulate your preparation scheme and score well in the SSC CGL Tier 1 English Language section. We wish you all the luck for the forthcoming SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam.
Stay connected for more information regarding SSC Exam Recruitment 2017.
To excel in SSC CGL Examination, Download the Best SSC CGL Exam Preparation App for free.