UPPSC Prelims 2017 Preparation Tips: The Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (JPSC) organizes this exam to recruit candidates for various posts in the Uttar Pradesh Civil Services. It is one of the most prestigious state-level exams in the country.
The preliminary exam for the same is scheduled to be conducted on the 24th of September, 2017. This exam is very significant as only after qualifying in this exam, you can appear for the mains. So, scoring well in this exam becomes very essential. Candidates who wish to appear in the upcoming UPPSC Prelims exam should give this article a thorough read.
UPPSC Prelims 2017 Exam Pattern
- 1 UPPSC Prelims 2017 Exam Pattern
- 2 UPPSC Prelims 2017: Section-wise Preparation Tips
This year there has been a remarkable change in the pattern of the examination. Now, for the prelims, every candidate has to take 2 examinations. Out of these two, marks for only General Studies-I will be taken into consideration. Civil Services Aptitude Test or CSAT is merely qualifying in nature and the candidate has to score minimum marks prescribed by UPPSC to qualify. Both these exams are of 200 marks each.
What is the minimum qualifying marks to clear CSAT 2017? The Civil Services Aptitude Test is merely qualifying in nature with minimum qualifying marks of 33%.
The revised exam pattern is discussed in the table below:
|Subject||Number of Marks||Duration|
General Studies-II (CSAT)
Paper I: General Studies-I
This paper is going to comprise a total of 150 questions from various sections which are,
- Indian History
- Geography of India
- Indian Polity and Governance
- Economic and Sustainable Development
- Science and Technology
- Current Affairs
- State Knowledge
Paper II: General Studies-II
The questions in this section will be prominently based on the Aptitude section to check your mental level. This section too will have 100 questions in total.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level)
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Since the preliminary exam is just around the corner, a majority of the candidates might have finished their preparations and must be in the revision phase. To specifically cater to their needs, we have formulated this article on UPPSC Prelims 2017: Last Minute Preparation Tips to help you with this process in a better way. All the candidates might have prepared for the exam but there some important guidelines that you need to keep in mind during this last time. This will help you to have an edge over the others and eventually increase your score. Now, we will guide on how to prepare and attempt the paper based on each section.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Section-wise Preparation Tips
All the candidates might have prepared for the exam but there some important guidelines that you need to keep in mind during this last time. This will help you to have an edge over the others and eventually increase your score. Now, we will guide on how to prepare and attempt the paper based on each section.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Preparation Tips for General Science
This is the most important section in terms of the distribution of questions. This section has a fair deal of questions and is considered to be one of the most important section in most of the competitive examinations. It is divided into 3 sections, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Though chemistry and biology are theoretical subjects, physics requires calculations that can be lengthy at times. So, to avoid wastage of time, try to avoid lengthy questions. And to reduce the time to solve them, practice shortcut techniques.
- Never try to guess the answer for theory-based questions. You either know the answer, or you don’t.
- This topic will render you a lot of marks. So, try to spend a little more time on revision for this topic.
- Refer to NCERT books, if some concept is not clear.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Preparation Tips for Geography
Every year more than 20 questions are asked from this topic which is huge. The geography section alone comprises of 25 percent marks of the whole paper. So, if you wish to qualify the prelims, you cannot afford to ignore this subject. It is important for you to have a command over this subject.
- As it is a state-level exam, focus more on questions related to Uttar Pradesh.
- Also, pay more attention to the geography of India and physical geography.
- Always make small notes and learn the things in an order as this subject is theoretical, and a lot needs to be memorized.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Preparation Tips for History
We can clearly see that a good deal of questions is asked from this topic every year. More or less, 30-35 questions are related to this topic.
- Questions will mostly be based and limited to the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Rather than cramming the theory and forgetting it, later on, try to read and learn it as a story by the method of relating.
- Try to gather information about the culture and traditions of Uttar Pradesh, leading personalities as well as important tourist places.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Preparation Tips for Current Affairs
This topic is extremely important as per the analysis of the distribution of questions. It is to test a candidate on how well he/she is aware of the happenings around him/her, the country and the world. This section which helps you to achieve a great score provided you know the answers. If you are good at memorizing, it is an added bonus for you.
- Learn about the latest developments in and around the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Also, research on various social and economic issues that have been in the news over the last one year.
- During the exam, try and attempt this section first as here you do not have to calculate anything.
UPPSC Prelims 2017: Preparation Tips for Indian Polity
Since this is a civil service exam, a number of questions in this section are based on Indian Constitution, Political System, and Governance. It is important that you have complete knowledge about the administrative services of Uttar Pradesh.
Other significant topic that are important are listed below in decreasing order,
- Uttar Pradesh GK
We strongly believe that if you follow these tips, you will definitely be able to hold a good score in the upcoming preliminary examination. Stay motivated and focused as this is going to be a big life changer for you as all your hard work is finally going to pay off. We wish you all the best for the forthcoming UPPSC Prelims 2017.
Stay connected for more information regarding UPPSC Recruitment 2017. To excel in State Exams, download the Best State Exam Preparation App for free.