UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering 2017: Union Public Services Commission conducts the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) for recruitment into various government run institutes in the sector of Power, Railways, Roadways, Construction, Telecommunication etc. This article will cover all the relevant information related to UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering 2017.
This year, UPSC ESE will be conducted in the month of January. IES offers posts in the field of Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering. Before heading to UPSC IES Syllabus MechanicalEngineering, let’s have a look at the exam pattern for UPSC IES Mechanical Engineering Paper 2017
UPSC IES Mechanical Engineering Exam Pattern 2017
The Engineering Services Examination 2017 will be conducted in three stages i.e. Preliminary exam, Mains exam and Personality Test. The preliminary exam will be objective MCQ in nature. For UPSC IES prelims, the exam will comprise of the following 2 papers:
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : General Studies and Engineering Aptitude (Objective)||2 hours||200|
|Paper-II : Mechanical Engineering (Objective)||3 hours||300|
Those who qualify the prelims stage with the minimum cut off marks will be eligible to appear for UPSC IES mains. The UPSC IES mains paper will be conventional in nature and will comprise of following 2 papers:
|Name of the Subject||Duration||Marks|
|Paper-I : Mechanical Engineering (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
|Paper-II : Mechanical Engineering (Conventional)||3 hours||300|
Candidates who successfully crack both the stages of ESE will move to the final round viz. Interview. Now, let’s focus on the most important segment of the article i.e. UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering Paper 2017.
UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering 2017
Mechanical engineering deals with various aspects of engineering such as materials, solid and fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc. The following piece of information contains the entire UPSC IES Syllabus for mechanical engineering Paper for both the stages (Prelims, Mains) of the ESE.
IES Mechanical Engineering Syllabus for Paper I
Paper I of Mechanical Engineering deals with the understanding of Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Power Plant Engineering etc.
- Basic Concepts and Properties of Fluids, Manometry, Fluid Statics, Buoyancy, Equations of Motion, Bernoulli’s equation and applications, Viscous flow of incompressible fluids, Laminar and Turbulent flows, Flow through pipes and head losses in pipes.
Thermodynamics and Heat transfer
- Thermodynamic systems and processes; properties of pure substance; Zeroth, First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics; Entropy, Irreversibility and availability; analysis of thermodynamic cycles related to energy conversion: Rankine, Otto, Diesel and Dual Cycles; ideal and real gases; compressibility factor; Gas mixtures. Modes of heat transfer, Steady and unsteady heat conduction, Thermal resistance, Fins, Free and forced convection, Correlations for convective heat transfer, Radiative heat transfer – Radiation heat transfer co-efficient; boiling and condensation, Heat exchanger performance analysis.
IC Engines, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- SI and CI Engines, Engine Systems and Components, Performance characteristics and testing of IC Engines; Fuels; Emissions and Emission Control. Vapour compression refrigeration, Refrigerants and Working cycles, Compressors, Condensers, Evaporators and Expansion devices, Other types of refrigeration systems like Vapour Absorption, Vapour jet, thermo electric and Vortex tube refrigeration. Psychometric properties and processes, Comfort chart, Comfort and industrial air conditioning, Load calculations and Heat pumps.
- Reciprocating and Rotary pumps, Pelton wheel, Kaplan and Francis Turbines, velocity diagrams, Impulse and Reaction principles, Steam and Gas Turbines, Theory of Jet Propulsion – Pulse jet and Ram Jet Engines, Reciprocating and Rotary Compressors – Theory and Applications
Power Plant Engineering
- Rankine and Brayton cycles with regeneration and reheat, Fuels and their properties, Flue gas analysis, Boilers, steam turbines and other power plant components like condensers, air ejectors, electrostatic precipitators and cooling towers – their theory and design, types and applications.
Renewable Sources of Energy
- Solar Radiation, Solar Thermal Energy collection – Flat Plate and focusing collectors their materials and performance. Solar Thermal Energy Storage, Applications – heating, cooling and Power Generation; Solar Photovoltaic Conversion; Harnessing of Wind Energy, Bio-mass and Tidal Energy – Methods and Applications, Working principles of Fuel Cells.
IES Mechanical Engineering Syllabus for Paper II
The paper II of ESE Mechanical Engineering deals with the understanding of mechanisms and machines, manufacture of materials etc.
- Analysis of System of Forces, Friction, Centroid and Centre of Gravity, Dynamics; Stresses and Strains-Compound Stresses and Strains, Bending Moment and Shear Force Diagrams, Theory of Bending Stresses- Slope and deflection-Torsion, Thin and thick Cylinders, Spheres.
- Basic Crystallography, Alloys and Phase diagrams, Heat Treatment, Ferrous and Non Ferrous Metals, Non metallic materials, Basics of 19 Nano-materials, Mechanical Properties and Testing, Corrosion prevention and control
Mechanisms and Machines
- Types of Kinematics Pair, Mobility, Inversions, Kinematic Analysis, Velocity and Acceleration Analysis of Planar Mechanisms, CAMs with uniform acceleration and retardation, cycloidal motion, oscillating followers; Vibrations –Free and forced vibration of undamped and damped SDOF systems, Transmissibility Ratio, Vibration Isolation, Critical Speed of Shafts. Gears – Geometry of tooth profiles, Law of gearing, Involute profile, Interference, Helical, Spiral and Worm Gears, Gear Trains- Simple, compound and Epicyclic; Dynamic Analysis – Slider – crank mechanisms, turning moment computations, balancing of Revolving & Reciprocating masses, Gyroscopes –Effect of Gyroscopic couple on automobiles, ships and aircrafts, Governors.
Design of Machine Elements
- Design for static and dynamic loading; failure theories; fatigue strength and the S-N diagram; principles of the design of machine elements such as riveted, welded and bolted joints. Shafts, Spur gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, Brakes and clutches, flywheels.
Manufacturing, Industrial and Maintenance Engineering
- Metal casting-Metal forming, Metal Joining, Machining and machine tool operations, Limits, fits and tolerances, Metrology and inspection, computer Integrated manufacturing, FMS, Production planning and Control, Inventory control and operations research – CPM-PERT. Failure concepts and characteristics-Reliability, Failure analysis, Machine Vibration, Data acquisition, Fault Detection, Vibration Monitoring, Field Balancing of Rotors, Noise Monitoring, Wear and Debris Analysis, Signature Analysis, NDT Techniques in Condition Monitoring.
Mechatronics and Robotics
- Microprocessors and Microcontrollers: Architecture, programming, I/O, Computer interfacing, Programmable logic controller. Sensors and actuators, Piezoelectric accelerometer, Hall effect sensor, Optical Encoder, Resolver, Inductosyn, Pneumatic and Hydraulic actuators, stepper motor, Control Systems- Mathematical modeling of Physical systems, control signals, controllability and observability. Robotics, Robot Classification, Robot Specification, notation; Direct and Inverse Kinematics; Homogeneous Coordinates and Arm Equation of four Axis SCARA Robot.
We hope this article on the latest UPSC IES Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering Paper 2017 provides you with necessary information. Have a look at the UPSC IES Syllabus for other related disciplines from the following links:
- UPSC IES Syllabus Civil Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus Electrical Engineering 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus Electronics Telecommunication 2017
- UPSC IES Syllabus General Studies & Engineering Aptitude 2017
Stay connected for more information regarding UPSC IES Recruitment 2017. To excel in Engineering Exams, download the Best IES Preparation App for free.
If you have any doubts or queries, please post them in the comment section below. For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.