Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 2: The Union Public Service Commission will conduct Civil Services Mains Examination in the month of October. The exam aims to access a student on the basis of his understanding of Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations.
The problem is that no matter how good & knowledgeable we think we are or how good we feel we have prepared for the exam there is always a certain level of uncertainty. To overcome this fear, we will be sharing Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 2.
Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 2 | Role of NHRC in Safeguarding Human Rights
Today we will discuss the Next Topic. Let us now go through some important definitions which will help us to understand the said topic in a better way.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) is an autonomous statutory body established in 1993 according to the provisions of the Protection of Human Rights Act. The Commission is composed of a chairperson and six members. The chairperson has to have been a chief justice of the Supreme Court.
- A Chairperson
- One Member who is, or has been, a Judge of the Supreme Court of India
- One Member who is, or has been, the Chief Justice of a High Court
- Two Members to be appointed from among persons having knowledge of, or practical experience in, matters relating to human rights
- In addition, the Chairpersons of four National Commissions of ( 1.Minorities 2.SC 3.ST 4.Women) serve as ex officio members.
In order to reform human rights situation in the country, the NHRC has right to visit any institution, jail or body and observe the functioning. It may suggest the measures to be adopted to reform the institutions, jails and body. It has also a right to review the provisions regarding human rights. It can recommend necessary changes in national laws.
It carries out studies in the area of human rights. Similarly, it can educate people through various ways e.g by conducting seminar, symposium, or organizing conferences etc. It has to publish working guideline for its actions. It can sensitize various actors of the government in the issues involving human rights.
The NHRC has to encourage the efforts made by the organization related to human rights in the country. Similarly, it has role in preparation of country report to be submitted to the international bodies. It may suggest the government in such matter. It has every right to enforce, protect and preserve the human rights. It has following powers:
- It can call anybody to be present before the commission and take notice about particular incidence.
- It may order anybody to submit documents.
- It has power to demand documents from any office of HMG or from the court.
- It can collect evidence.
- It has right to inspect or supervise or visit the place and collect evidence regarding torture under section 11(1) (f).
Expected Question: Discuss the Role of NHRC in Safeguarding Human Rights.
Preparing for IAS Prelims 2018?? Try these mock tests for FREE!!
Over here we conclude our article on Top 10 Must Read Topics for IAS Mains GS Paper 2. Stay tuned with us for the rest of the topic that we will discuss day by day.