Prepare for UPSC CDS English Language 2016: Union public service commission conducts CDS (Combined Defence Services) Examination twice in a year. Every year huge number of candidates apply for CDS exam to join Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Indian Air Force Academy. UPSC has released the official information on the exam dates and application process. This year, UPSC CDS (II) will be conducted on 23rd of October.
CDS (II) examination for Indian Army Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy comprises of three papers i.e. English, Mathematics and General Knowledge. For Officers’ Training Academy, only two papers are there which are English and General Knowledge. For a complete in-depth analysis of the exam pattern of UPSC CDS (II), follow the link.
Thus, we can say that the CDS English language section is considered to be very important. Before heading to the preparation tips, let us break –up the matter, topic wise to see how we will prepare for it.
CDS English Language Section Topics
To help you understand the pattern of questions for UPSC CDS English language, we have mentioned some topics from previous year’s papers:
|Topics||No. of Questions|
|2014 CDS-I||2014 CDS – II||2015 CDS – I||2015 CDS – II||2016 CDS-I|
|Ordering of words in a sentence||11||11||7||–||15|
|Ordering of sentences in b/w first and last sentence||10||8||10||–||10|
|Fill in the blank||4||–||–||10||10|
|Selecting Words/ Cloze Test||20||20||20||25||20|
After analyzing CDS (I) and (II) English topics for the year 2014, 2015 and 2016, you can easily figure out which topic you need to focus on.
Preparation Tips for CDS English Language
In order to ace the CDS English language section, you need put in a lot of hard work and dedication. Since, English language can not be learnt in a fortnight, you need to prepare consistently. To help you in your preparation, here are some important preparation tips to crack the CDS English Language section:
- Read English newspaper daily. The habit of reading books, journals, magazines do wonders and makes the person more confident. This will not only help in your written examination but also in the interview round of CDS (II).
- Refer to various grammar learning books as grammatical errors in your paper will certainly leave a bad impression. You don’t need to learn all of the grammar rules but some basic ones will help in proper sentence formation.
- Improve your vocabulary by learning new words daily. Mark the words from whichever reading source you are using and learn their meanings. Also write their synonyms and antonyms as this will help in reading comprehension questions.
- Solve previous year’s question papers on a daily basis. This helps in understanding the pattern of questions and how to attempt them. You will also learn the level of difficulty for each section and the topics which you are strong or weak in.
- Try to maintain class notes by creating summary notes. Spot the key terms and concepts and make sure that you understand them. You can even use these notes while revising for the exam during last days.
- Time management is the most important factor of every competitive exam. Therefore, you need to work on your speed. To ensure efficient use of time, you need to practice Mock Tests and Assessments every day.
- Revise and learn from your mistakes. When you are preparing for CDS English language section, those key words list needs to be thoroughly revised. Make sure you go through them once at the end of the week.
- Try to adopt smart learning methods at the same time work hard on the areas which you are weak in. Try to develop some tricks which can help you during the exam.
- Lastly, maintain a positive outlook to release the pressure.
RECOMMENDED: UPSC CDS (II) Mock Tests e-Book
We hope all these preparation tips will prove beneficial for the upcoming UPSC CDS (II) Examination. If there any doubts or queries, let us know in the comments section below.
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.