CDS Elementary Mathematics Important Topics and Questions: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is responsible for conducting the Combined Defense Services (CDS) Exam. CDS exam is organized twice every year. The main aim is to select eligible candidates for the Indian Military Academy, Officers Training Academy, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy.
If you’re aiming for recruitment to Indian Defence forces that includes Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, you need to give equal attention to the mathematics section. In this article, we will be giving complete information regarding the CDS elementary mathematics important topics and questions.
CDS Elementary Mathematics Important Topics
There are 2 papers in CDS that are organized, one for Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force and the other for Officer’s Training Academy. Mathematics is an important part of the first paper. Have a look at the exam pattern for CDS Examination:
|General Knowledge||2 hours||100|
|Elementary Mathematics||2 hours||100|
The mathematics exam comprises of 120 questions that have to completed within a time duration of 120 minutes i.e 2 hours. This exam is taken in order to check the candidate’s basic knowledge of mathematics. This section consists of a number of topics that you need to cover which are,
Now, let’s head to the most important section for the preparation viz. CDS elementary mathematics important topics and questions. We have also provided an analysis of questions from previous year’s papers.
CDS Elementary Mathematics: Question-based Analysis
To make the task easy for our readers, we went through and explored question papers from the last 5 years of elementary mathematics to analyze a trend. On examining, we found a pattern of some questions from significant topics that have been repetitively asked year after year. The entire analysis is described in the table below.
Given below is the analysis of questions from the topic “Number Systems” of previous year’s papers.
Analysis of Questions from Number System
|Topic||No. of questions|
|Surds & indices||1||2||5||2||1|
|Divisibility/ Remainder Theorem||8||11||9||7||7|
|LCM and HCF||5||6||1||2||2|
A good number of questions have been put up from the topic of Divisibility/ Remainder Theorem with an average of around 8-9 questions in almost every year’s question paper. So, by seeing this trend, we can determine that this topic is of paramount importance in this subject. The candidate needs to pay extra attention to this topic to earn more marks and improve their score. It will also increase your accuracy and number of attempts per topic.
Here are a few CDS Elementary Mathematics important topics from which a decent number of questions can come:
1. BoDMAS/ Simplification: Not many questions were asked from this topic in the year 2014 but in the later year the number unexpectedly rose to 5 and then again dropped down. You cannot ignore this fact and you should prepare for the worst case scenario.
2. LCM and HCF: In the year 2014-I and II, around 5-6 questions were asked, this number abruptly plunged down to 1 or 2 questions. This year it is expected that the number of questions may rise again according to the pattern.
Generally, a very few number of questions are put up from the topic of Surds and Indices, but we cannot miss any topic as you never know what can be asked.
Given below is the analysis of questions from the topic “Mensuration” of previous year’s papers.
Analysis of Mensuration Questions
|Topic||No. of questions|
As we can clearly see in the table, Mensuration 3D and 2D both are very important topics in terms of the number of questions that a candidate can come across during the exam. The number of questions asked from mensuration 3D is higher than 2D. Thus, one needs to try and focus on them as it can really boost your score and help you clear the average cut-off.
Given below is the analysis of questions from the topic “Trigonometry” of previous year’s papers.
Analysis of Trigonometry Questions
|Topic||No. of questions|
|Sum, difference and product formulae||4||3||3||3||1|
|Trigonometrical rations of multiple and sub-multiple angles||1||2||2||–||1|
|Properties of triangles||4||1||1||1||–|
|Height and distance||3||1||3||2||1|
- The maximum number of questions are asked from Trigonometric Identities. Every year around 5-6 questions are asked certainly asked from this topic. It is of utmost importance and you need to emphasize this topic a little more than the others. It will surely guarantee you good marks.
- Around 3-4 questions can appear from the topic of sum, difference and product formulae. So, this topic can also be considered as important.
- Topics like Trigonometric Rations, Its Multiple and Sub- Multiple Angles, Properties of triangles and Height and Distances are somewhat important. The pattern of number of questions varies from year to year and is comparatively less than the other topics. Not that important but an aspirant should not leave any topic untouched as one should always be ready to cope up with the unexpected during an exam. Also, all these topics combined can sum up to a big chunk of marks that has the ability to hinder your score.
We hope this article provides you with useful information regarding the CDS Elementary Mathematics Important Topics and Questions. Start your CDS preparation with the help of following links:
- How to Prepare for CDS General Knowledge
- How to Prepare for CDS English Language
- How to Prepare for CDS Mathematics
For better response, post your queries on OnlineTyari Community.